With the rapidly increasing quantity and availability of Cryptocoins, the ever-rising price of Bitcoin, and speculation that Blockchain will be the “next internet” – now is a great time to start learning how Bitcoin and the Blockchain works.
The list below provides some of the top Blockchain books to get you started. Detailed summaries can be found below.
That’s what’s so great about Bitcoin. At inception (six years ago), it was tremendously disruptive and innovative. And since then, Bitcoin has only gotten better, and better by orders of magnitude.
-Andreas Antonopoulos, CryptoCoinsNews Interview
|The Age of Cryptocurrency||Paul Vigna, Michael J. Casey||Check Price|
|The Bitcoin Big Bang||Brian Kelly||Check Price|
|Mastering Bitcoin||Andreas M. Anthonopoulos||Check Price|
|The Internet of Money||Andreas M. Antonopoulos||Check Price|
|The Book Of Satoshi||Phil Champagne||Check Price|
|Blockchain Revolution||Don Tapscott, Alex Tapscott||Check Price|
|Digital Gold||Nathaniel Popper||Check Price|
|The Business Blockchain||William Mougayar, foreword by Vitalik Buterin||Check Price|
|Bitcoin: Mastering Bitcoin & Cyptocurrency for Beginners||Tim Harris||Check Price|
Paul Vigna, Michael J. Casey
Why should you care about bitcoin?
The Age of Cryptocurrency will answer this question for you. Digital currencies are speculated to launch a global revolution that will remove and reinvent existing financial structures and institutions, while providing a way for the world’s “unbanked” to conduct electronic transactions. Cryptocurrency can eliminate the middle man, dramatically reducing transaction fees and cross border barriers, providing a safeguard to protect against future economic crashes.
Will you be prepared for a world without paper currency?
Learn the origins, function, and future of Bitcoin and Cryptocurrencies in general.
Spurred by “selfish” reasons, Brian Kelly began writing The Bitcoin Big Bang during a time its value was at an all time high. He found himself sitting in a losing trade and felt the burning need to know everything he could about his investment in this new currency.
The Bitcoin Big Bang was written by an experienced investor with literal “skin in the game”. Kelly has found that oftentimes he usually finds the best investments when other people think he is crazy.
Kelly takes a detailed look into not only bitcoin’s future, but the future of the blockchain itself. This book goes beyond a simple beginner’s perspective on blockchain and looks at its technical foundation and the implications for its use beyond “another currency”. In addition to currency, blockchain technology will revolutionize:
- Identity Protection
- The Business World
- Financial Institutions
- Legal Professions
- Local and Global Governments
- The Internet itself
Take a deeper look at the future of the world with an author posessing a strong education in Finance and over 20 years if investment expererience to back it up.
Andreas M. Anthonopoulos
Author Andreas M. Anthonopoulos is well known for his ability to take complex topics and break them down into a format that is easily understood by non-technical audiences. In Mastering Bitcoin he specifically covers bitcoin in depth. Covering everything from setting up a bitcoin wallet to coding the blockchain itself. This book can be used to gain a foundational knowledge of bitcoin, but then goes into the nitty gritty details of the code itself.
While the majority of this book is intended for coders, the first few chapters can be used by anyone as gain an understanding of bitcoin and a general introduction to the blockchain.
Although some of the topics covered may intimidate bitcoin newbies, TippyTop recommends this book for everyone because of Anthonopoulos’s ability to easily explain technical topics.
- How Bitcoin Works
- The Bitcoin Client
- Keys, Addresses, Wallets
- The Bitcoin Network
- The Blockchain
- Mining and Consensus
- Alternative Chains, Currencies and Applications
- Bitcoin Security
- Transaction Script Language Operators, Constants, and Symbols
- Bitcoin Improvement Proposals
- pycoin, ku, and tx
- Bitcoin Explorer (bx) Commands
Mastering Bitcoin has received positive feedback from major bitcoin and blockchain advocates including:
- Naval Ravikant (Cofounder, AngelList)
- Gavin Andresen (Chief Scientist, Bitcoin Foundation)
- Balaji S. Srinivasan (General Partner, Andreessen Horowitz)
- Roger Ver (Bitcoin Entrepeneur and Investor)
Andreas M. Antonopoulos
While most books present the “how?” of bitcoin, this book by Andreas M. Antonopoulos takes a deeper look into cryptocurrencies and addresses the “Why?”.
About Satoshi Nakamoto (“Bitcoin Inventor”)
- Satoshi’s Identity is virtual
- May be an individual or a group
- Published bitcoin details to internet, then disappeared
- True identity may never be known
The Book of Satoshi contains a collection of the articles and posts published online by Satoshi Nakamoto, the creator of bitcoin. The book includes
- Satoshi Emails
- Satoshi posts from online computer forums
- The fundamentals of bitcoin
- Bitcoin’s future impact on the world and established institutions
- The paper which started bitcoin
“Banks must be trusted to hold our money and transfer it electronically, but they lend it out in waves of credit bubbles with barely a fraction in reserve. We have to trust them with our privacy, trust them not to let identity thieves drain our accounts. Their massive overhead costs make micropayments impossible.”
— Satoshi Nakamoto, on banks
The Book of Satoshi is comprised of over 70 chapters covering a wide range of bitcoin topics. Below are a few highlights:
- How and Why Bitcoin Works
- The First Post on Crypto Mailing List
- Scalability Concerns
- The 51% Attack
- About Centrally Controlled Networks vs. Peer-to-Peer Networks
- On Confirmation and Block Time
- The Byzantine General’s Problem
- On Elliptic Curve Cryptography, Denial of Service Attacks, and Confirmation
- First Release of Bitcoin
- On the Purpose for Which Bitcoin Could be Used First
- Bitcoin Announced on P2P Foundation
- Decentralization as Key to Success
- Money Supply
- Definition of Money and Bitcoin
- Short Messages in the Block Chain
- Wikileaks Using Bitcoin
- Satoshi’s Last Forum Post: Release of Bitcoin 0.3.19
- Last Private Correspondance
Don Tapscott, Alex Tapscott
Blockchain Revolution, written by bestselling author Don Tapscott and his son Alex Tapscott shows how blockchain will likely have a larger impact and be more disruptive to our society then other new technologies such as Self Driving Cars, Solar Energy, and even Artificial Intelligence. Not only that, but blockchain is already here!
The first phase of the digital revolution gave us the internet and along with it, information. The second phase of the digital revolution will provide as a new distributed technology that will even more integrated into the global society, affecting everything from transactions to legal documents.
Blockchain technology is present and already in use. It is only a matter of time before it is in use everywhere.
Blockchain Revolution has received praise from:
- Marc Andreessen, cofounder Netscape and Andreessen Horowitz
- Clay Christensen, author of The Innvoator’s Dilemma
- Dan Schulman, CEO Paypal
- Klaus Schwab, Founder & Executive Chairman World Economic Forum
Finally, the book so many of us have been waiting for: A riveting and smart account of the strange history of bitcoin. You’ll start knowing nothing about Bitcoin and finish with deep knowledge, but you won’t realize you’re learning along the way you’ll just think it’s a lot of fun.— Adam Davidson, cofounder of NPR’s Planet Money
- A Chinese Entrepreneur
- An Argentinian Millionaire
- Satoshi Nakamoto
- The Winklevoss Brothers
William Mougayar, foreword by Vitalik Buterin
- Entrepreneur, Investor, Blogger, Startup Mentor
- Expert Researcher on Blockchain Techologies
- General Partner, Virtual Capital Ventures
- Board Of Directors, OB1
- Special Advisor, Ethereum Foundation
- Member, OMERS Venture Board of Advisors
- Advisory Board, Coin Center and Bloq
- Founder, Startup Management
Vitalik Buterin (Foreward)
- Co-founder, Etherium
- Co-founder, Bitcoin Magazine
- Programmer and Writer
Bitcoin: Mastering Bitcoin & Cyptocurrency for Beginners – Bitcoin Basics, Bitcoin Stories, Dogecoin, Reinventing Money & Other Digital Currencies
In Bitcoin: Mastering Bitcoin & Cryptocurrency for beginners, author Tim Harris provides a general overview of cryptocurrencies. This book covers their rising popularity and general considerations such as cryptocurrency mining, investing, and tax considerations for the latter.
At the time of writing Bitcoin is one of the most up to date books on the TippyTop list of top cryptocurrency books.
- What Cryptocurrency means
- Cryptocurrency vs. traditional forms of currency
- Why Bitcoin is most popular Crpyptocurrency
- Other Popular Cryptocurrencies
- Mining Cryptocurrencies
- Investing in Cryptocurrencies
- Crpyotcurrency Tax Considerations & Regulations